Monday, August 13, 2012

Living with a Peruvian family


Ever since the day that I moved in this family has treated me as a part of the family. Right now they have cousins visiting from Ilo, a coastal city near Arequipa, for the couple weeks holiday right now. In the picture there's Gabi, Lourdes, Giovana, Lise, milner, Liliana, me and Avi with Fatima in the front. They'll stay until after Arequipa day, August 15, so the house is so busy right now with all of them and all the friends and other family that comes to visit daily. But I hear that this is only temporary because of the holidays... Every day they invite me to eat with them, and most days I do. Lunch, from around 1-2 in the afternoon, is the big production here in Peru. And everyone takes their turns doing dishes, setting the table, and cooking. So yesterday, I made chili for them. It was the biggest pot of chili I've ever made and I had to split it into two pots just to be able to stir it all. We ate it over rice and even though the beans weren't completely cooked everyone said they liked it and took seconds.

My favorite -I'm not playing favorites, promise- is the little girl, Fatima. She's only 7 years old and doesn't speak English, but she loves coming into my room and making noises and faces at me. She sits next to me whenever I'm using my computer in the living room, and so far my family and Micah got to hang out with her too on Skype. Even though sometimes it's a lot of attention, I really like her company. She's the happiest little 7 year-old I've ever met, she's always smiling and in the whole time they've been here I've never seen her get upset about not getting her way or having to do something her mom says. It's refreshing after Neko and Skyler's tantrums...

And every night the neighbors came over to hang out, play cards or have little dance parties...sometimes until 3am. Would have been fun if I didn't have class in the morning or if every little creek in the house couldn't be heard in my room.

No comments: