Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Getting ready for Thailand

Its now almost 48 hours before I leave for Thailand, yes I'm counting down. So far I have absolutely no plans made for when I arrive in Bangkok in 72 hours. I guess the under planning for my time in Thailand is making up for the over preparation I've been doing on my backpack for the past 3 weeks. Since I finished my internship on August 1st all I've been doing is packing and unpacking my pack every time I think of something else I need to bring. Not to mention boredom on top of nervousness is a bad combination that always leads to compulsive behavior even in the most stable people.

So here are my very, (let me emphasize the very) tentative plans for Thailand. I'm taking with me my 65L backpack and in it my camping gear, rock climbing gear, toiletries, first aid, 4 pairs of clothes, rain gear, and hiking boots. Anything else I need I figure I'll buy while I'm there.

Saturday, August 30 1:05 am
- Arrive in Bangkok Suvarnbhumi International Airport after first losing a day traveling across the dateline, and stopping over in LA and Taipei, Taiwan. Book a flight to the Philippines for October and November. Wander around the airport for a few hours waiting for the city to wake up.

First week - Hang around Bangkok and meet other backpackers to travel with. See some of the tourist traps in Thailand's capital and possibly take a small trip north to Ayuthaya.

Next week - Take a train or more likely a bus to the south eastern coast on the gulf of Thailand. Visit some Wats (Buddhists temples), national parks, and beaches. Hopefully spend my nights camping on the beaches and my days hiking to waterfalls or taking boat trips to the many different islands.

September and October - Spend my time around the coasts in the south and hope for good weather for camping. These 2 months are supposed to be the end of the rainy season in Thailand. Maybe I will buy myself a traditional Thai fishing hat and learn to fish! Sometime in there I plan to make my way over to the west coast on the Andaman Sea and go rock climbing at Railay beach on dry days. Possibly get a scuba diving certification, go sailing, maybe some hiking, and a lot of camping and just plain relaxing.

Before October 20 - Leave Thailand because my first entry visa runs out. Hopefully I will have bought a ticket to the Philippines before this date. Stay up to 4 weeks in the Philippines doing Island hopping and visiting one of my good friends' families.

Somtime in November - Stopover in Singapore before making my way back to Thailand.

December and January - Travel in the northern Provinces.
Spend a few weeks in the mountains around Chiang Mai, go trekking and take a cooking course in Thai. Yumm!!!! Find some families to stay with and teach Thai kids English, maybe even get a job in the Thai schools.
Go east and travel along the Mekong River. Cross into Laos if my visa allows me to.

January 21 or before - Fly back to the US when my money runs out or my scheduled flight back on Jan. 21, which ever comes first.

So there you have it! The next 5 months of my life, and not one day of it set in stone!

No comments: