Saturday, October 11, 2008

Singapore

Wow! All the things you hear about Singapore are actually true. I felt like I was in a mini America that's very clean and where the citizens obey the laws. Their government buildings look like they came straight from DC and the Singaporeans dress like Americans... and I never thought I could pick out Americans by their clothes but I guess I can, then in the supermarket (which is set up like in the States) they have ALL the American brands, lol. Its really funny. But the difference is that the people are truly friendly, you ask where something is and with perfect English they explain the directions at least twice and draw you a map on some paper or a napkin :)

Something funny about traveling to Singapore was how many times they warn you about how all drugs no matter the quantity or which drug carries the same penalty under Singapore law, the death penalty! And they are very, very strict about their laws. Also, every time I got directions I was told only to cross the street at cross walks... and every one really does cross only at cross walks and they wait for the cross signal.

Singapore has three main populations, one from China, one from Maylasia, and last from India. So, I got lucky and was there for the Indian's Deepavali festival, or the festival of lights. Which is a month long celebration after their new year. So, I stayed a night in little India and got to try very tasty Indian food and took a tour around the area to learn about the festival and the populations of Indians living in Singapore.


This is just a funny escalator in the middle of a beautiful green park in the middle of downtown!





Downtown by the river.
You can find any kind of food in Singapore. This is a shop that sells meet that looks like beef jerkey but taste more like bacon...






An Indian Hindu temple directly next to a Chinese Buddhist temple. The Singaporean's are very tolerant people! The stands in front of the Chinese temple are selling flowers to take in as part of the Buddhist prayers.


The beautiful Esplanade from across the river.

The center of downtown looks very organized, right?







Well, all-in-all I really enjoyed my experience in this Asian country that feels nothing like Asia!

1 comment:

Eva from VA said...

Wow ..... I don't know why I haven't seen this blog before ..... it wasn't there when I check the other day but, I think it said Oct 10th.... maybee that was the date on the prior one .... but, poof there it is ..... everything you are doing seems so different and amazing ..... I guess it would be hard to get bored with so many new and different experiences ..... keep up the fun .....