Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Teaching in China

So, my real reason for coming to China was to find a teaching job. I found the Buckland group in Yangshuo that has a program for training new teachers to China, finding schools for them, and making sure they have everything they need as far as living goes. WOW!! I thought, "This is more than perfect for me!"

I trained for a week in Yangshuo and got all kinds of helpful tips on teaching Chinese students, teaching in big classrooms, and living in China.
One night during the training we (all the new Buckland teachers) got invited to the opening dinner of a 5 star hotel and restaurant, mostly for promotional purposes they wanted to show foreigners enjoying the new hotel. But the food was still really good!





Cheers for being new English teachers!

English corner with the Chinese students learning English in the Buckland Academy. They were sooooo enthusiastic and interested in speaking with us!


A little sketch of how small Yangshuo is.
I really needed a hair cut, so Chinese style, I sat down and with out a word the guy picked up the scissors and wanted to start cutting about 8 inches off my hair!! I was like, "ahhh... anyone in here speak English!"









The No. 1 Middle School of Tongzi!

My teaching post, and where I'm living now, is in Tongzi, Guizhou province. Its about 18hr north-west of Yangshuo and in the mountains. The town has about 100,000 people and I can walk from one side of the town to the other in probably an hour.




My own apartment! They converted the hallway into a kitchen :)

My living room!







Here are some of my students playing basketball after school. They are literally obsessed with basketball and the NBA. But then when I watch them play basketball they all just stand under the basket and wait to fight over the rebound, they when someone gets the ball they just let him go off and shoot on his own.



The school stadium and the mountains in the background.

My building, Grade 2. So I teach in all 16 classes in this building, 1 lesson per class.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Grade 2? So are you teaching 2nd grade like me?!? Sometimes I feel like my kids don't understand English... :)