Thursday, September 17, 2009

Frustrated with the "Great Chinese Firewall"

The Chinese government is great at blocking anything and everything that could be anti-China from the common people. At first, I didn't notice anything, I even thought that the government played such a small role in the people's daily lives, but then I made Chinese friends. I guess the government really does affect the people daily. The people only know what the government wants them to know. I guess it's the whole 'ignorance is bliss' thing. The government is constantly blocking new websites, like blogspot, facebook, youtube, twitter, and so on and so on and so on...
I found out that once a person finds a job after university it's virtually impossible to change jobs, not to mention it's extremely difficult for a Chinese person to find a job outside of their home county, better yet in another province. So, whether they like their job or not they're stuck doing it until they retire. It also seems that the Chinese penal code is guilty until proven innocent. If the police pick up someone they think has committed a crime they can hold them in jail until the family pays between 5000 and 7000 RMB or until the police finds out they are innocent. In China if a rural farmer wants to move to the city they need to apply for it and most the time pay some crazy amount of money (under the table of course) to the government officials. And government jobs are open to anyone...as long as they are Communist Party members!

Anyways, I wish I there were a better way for me to update my blog...now that I can get onto my blog again (not exactly legally) I'm just trying to find a way to post photos.

No comments: