Saturday, October 20, 2012

Canon SX260

This is from my new Canon SX260. For just playing around with it this past week I have mixed feelings about it.
Pros: It has the ability to take really high quality photos either manually and with the standard auto setting.
It has 20x optical zoom(really nice for me after using the 5x optical zoom on the Canon G10) and can still take great clear photos at that zoom even when you're holding the camera by hand.
It takes great night and low light photos.
It has a high-speed burst setting where it'll take up to 10 fast shots in a row for the best action photos.
Cons: Canon changed the settings for how to choose different options. On my old (broken) G10 I could change the settings by scrolling with the wheel on the back whereas on this camera I need to go into the functions menu to change the settings. This was one of my main reasons for sticking with Canon, because I was used to the settings and it was fast and easy to navigate.
Secondly, I can't find any basic quick setting for mid-day bright light photos. I thought this was one of the most standard settings. Instead when I take photos at that time I need to be on the portrait setting and change to the long distance option to get the right focus... It's really starting to frustrate me. And there is no 'mountain' setting for basic landscape shots. So, basically they added on all these funky settings for fish-eye, and miniature car, but took out the settings that people really use.
Had I known this, I actually wouldn't have bought this camera, because I could have spent $80 more and gotten a lot nicer camera with a lot more control of the the settings.
Anyway, I shouldn't complain too loudly because it's a lot nicer than this $60 Fujifilm camera I thought I'd be happy to just make do with and then decided I've become too spoiled by my G10 and this is why I spent another $300 to get the SX260.  And in the grand scheme of things $300 is nothing in the camera world.

No comments: