Thursday, May 2, 2013

3 time is a charm - Yura waterfall

I've been to Yura twice already trying to go to the waterfalls. The first time my friend realized that he had to work after an hour bus there and 20 mins walking in the desert, and the second time I have no idea where we went wrong but Micah and I couldn't find the waterfalls. This time I went with a Peruvian friend who has been there many times and I have no idea how I got lost because the trail was big and very clear. Oh well, I made it!!
All the teachers had a week off in between the monthly cycles this month. Since I'm traveling with my friend Toad in the middle of the month, I decided not to travel during the break but to work and save up some money. It worked out really good because Wednesday, May Day was the Peruvian labor day and so I had the day off.

My good friend Freddy said he would take me to Yura.

It was an hour by bus out of town to the cement mining town of Yura. We walked through the desert first for about a half hour.

Next we entered a canyon of sorts and the scenery completely changed. It was green and had a river flowing though it, which meant that we had to take our shoes off and walk though the river.

The river wasn't too deep but the bed was full of small stones and sometimes it was slippery so it probably took us three times as long as it should have to cross the water.
But it was very pretty inside the canyon, so it was nice to take the time going through the river.

The waterfall just kind of jumps out at you when you reach it because the walls of the canyon are really steep and close together so when you turn the corner the waterfall is just there 20 feet in front of you. I don't know exactly how high the waterfall is, maybe about 20m (65 feet).

On the way back out I was trying to hop a stone with my shoes still on and I accidentally stepped in the water. So since my shoes were already wet, I decided to keep my shoes on and walk through the river. Haha, it was funny because we had worked so hard to keep our shoes dry the first time around.

Super fun day!

No comments: