Sunday, December 7, 2008

More pics from the Philippines

I know these posts are somewhat out of order...sorry
Here are the rest of the pics and some of what I did my last week in the Philippines.

I went to Dumagette after leaving Apo island with the 2 other backpackers and stayed the night at Liberty's home in Valencia. That weekend was a big festival of something I could not understand.

First stop was a big truck derby, where hundreds of Filipinos came to cheer on these enormous 4-wheelers around a muddy track with hills and tracks that they kept getting stuck in.

Then we went to one of the famous Filipino cock fights, where the Filipino men gamble on the roosters killing other roosters. They put a sharp blade one one foot of the rooster so when they claw at each other they end up able to kill the
other rooster. And betting is done by screaming your bet until you find someone to bet with. So "Tres biya, tres biya" mean 300 piso on the underdog...

The next morning before leaving Glen, Liberty's driver, took Adriano and I to nearby waterfalls that I now cannot remember the name.








Arriving at Camiguin. This island is famous because it has more volcanoes per area than any other place in the world... also a very beautiful and green island.

Filipino satay on Camiguin.








Kitibawasan Waterfalls that don't fit wholly in the picture
Hot springs made into a recreational area for the Filipino people.







White Island, just off Camiguin. There is no vegetation or people living on this Island, just sand, and you can walk from one side to the other in 10 mins!!

Sunset from White Island.
Dinner on Camiguin.

So, I stayed just a few days on Camiguin and then took a boat back to Bohol.
My Filipino friend, Junril, that I had met last time on Bohol showed me a few things around the Island. Like this deserted funny animal sanctuary that had a lot of different animals but only 1-2 of each and all were in cages too small for them.

The ape was trying to groom me :)
The oldest church in Bohol.




That was the end of my trip to the Philippines and I can't wait to go back someday to see more!! And the people there really are amazing!

No comments: