Sunday, July 7, 2013

Popayan, Colombia


I crossed the border at Rumichaca to Colombia. Crossing the border was so much easier than I thought it would be. For some reason we all have this idea in our heads that Colombia is such a dangerous place, but it isn't any more. I went to the border town on the Ecuadorian side, took a taxi to the border, stamped my passport to leave, walked across the border, stamped my passport to enter Colombia, met 2 other backpackers to share a taxi to Ipiales - the border town in Colombia - and then took a bus to Popayan no problem. At no time did I feel unsafe, there were a lot of people, backpackers and vehicles crossing at the border with security.

The countryside from the border north was incredible! The road runs in a beautiful canyon and then along green valleys and rolling hills. Welcome to Colombia. 

I originally didn't want to stop in Popayan because I didn't know what was there. I decided to stay a day because it's a really nice Spanish colonial town. All the houses in the center were white with tiled roofs. I spent the day just exploring the city. The viewpoint on a little hill was a nice place to relax and see the whole center and countryside.

The churches were a completely different Spanish colonial style than I've seen so far in South America. It's really interesting to see the influence the Spanish had in South America in different places.

No comments: