Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Starting my trip; up to Ecuador

Yay I'm getting to take a couple month backpacking trip up through Central America now that I'm done working at Extreme in Arequipa (well technically I've been done for a while but continued to help out because the school is in such bad shape).

I started my 'trip' in the north of Peru on the famous beaches of Mancora. Well I didn't find anything exceptional about the beaches there, they weren't that pretty, the only appeal would be for people who only want to party. It was a little bit of a waste of time, but at least I know what it's all about and won't go back.

Next I crossed into Ecuador. A very easy border to cross. I stayed a night in Guayaquil, in Funky Monkey next to the terminal terrestre which was a shock for me to see a 3 story high bus station as new and modern as any big airport. Free bathrooms (wow!) internet bars, shops and it was so clean with real security. And everyone was friendly there. I wasn't ready for people to be helpful and smile at me when I asked for help. What a great (and actually very accurate) first impression.

The next day I was up early and off to my first destination, San Luis de Pambil in Bolivar province. It involved getting off the bus at a tiny intersection in the middle of nowhere and waiting an hour for another bus to take me all the way to the end of the farm road to San Luis de Pambil. Once there I 'checked into' (or rather wandered into and found some kids to show me to a room) the only hotel in the 1000 person village. This village is super small and cute. It's just centered around the main square where everyone plays volleyball or soccer every night. The first day I tried to look for a guide to take me up to the mountain for a hike because I was told that I couldn't do it myself. And there weren't any guides available so the owner of the hotel told me that he would show me the way to the beginning of the trail. Well he tried to but he actually didn't know where the trail began and so we ended up tromping up the mountain in knee high mud until we gave up because clearly cutting out own path didn't mean we were getting to the trail. Well a bit of a waste of  a day but that didn't really matter.

I just decided to stay another day and see if I couldn't find a real guide. Well I did find the right people, not exactly a guide either, but at least someone who knew the mountain. I went on a little trek though the jungle and followed a stream to a waterfall. The sun even graced us for a few beautiful hours.
Then the fog came back. But it was a really nice hike. Best of all the guys who were 'guiding' are starting a group to boost tourism in their town. They are building some cabins up the road to Piedra Blanca and offer other tourist activities. They're just in the baby stages but I think they'll be really successful. And the all really want to learn English and the community really wants an English teacher, so I think I'll go back there next year. 

No comments: