Monday, July 15, 2013

Valle de Cocora from Salento

When I got back from the coffee farm I met 2 cool Israelis, Anna and Brian at the hostel and we decided to go hiking in the Valle de Cocora the next day.
The circuit we took started on a horse trail, which kinda sucked because there was barbed wire on both sides and when the horses passed either way there was no side of the trail that we could escape to. But the Valle de Cocora was absolutely beautiful. We had perfect weather. About 80 degrees without humidity and a beautiful blue skies.
After an hour we got to the waterfalls. Small but nice. The water was too cold to swim in though.
Anna decided to stay at the falls while Brian and I continued on the trail.
Nice hike through the forest and crossing the river on some rickety wooden footbridges.


There's a really awesome little farm, Acaime, or actually a hummingbird sanctuary. The hummingbirds are right there next to the house so you can just sit there and watch them basically come up to you. All-right, maybe I went a little crazy with the photos of the hummingbirds being so close. I could have spent all day sitting there watching them fly around. :)
The trail then continued up the mountain, a bit steeply, to the Finca la MontaƱa. All worth it because of the view at the top and the fresh air.
Then back down. Hey and we passed thorough what the Valle de Cocora is known for, the 70 meter Wax Palm trees. Perfect timing to see everything and make it back in time for the last jeeps back to Salento. What a nice day. I don't care that Salento was overrun by tourists,(maybe it's a bit sad, but I'm a tourist too) it was absolutely beautiful with nice weather so I can see why everyone goes there.

This is Bandeja, a local kinda night food. Not really that tasty or that I would even get it again. I just think it's weird that they put arepas, thick flour or corn tortillas, with everything. Even to make this some kind of open faced sandwich.

No comments: