Friday, July 26, 2013

The Spanish colonial city - Cartagena

I definitely understand why Cartagena is such a big tourist destination. Evidently it was the first Spanish city here in the new world. It's really beautiful and they made it really touristy with all the tours, horse carriages and traditional dancing in the square and they have nice hotels, bars and restaurants for the atmosphere. But even so I agree that it's one of the places not to miss, and it's partly because of all of these things. 
I stayed in Getstemani right outside the walls of the old city. Walking into the old city is like walking through the gates of a theme park. From Getsetamani - a crowded, noisy area catering to the locals- going to the old city you pass though the portals under the yellow clock tower.
Once in the old city you're immediately bombarded by hawkers trying to sell you ever kind of knick-knack, painting, artesania (handicrafts) or tour. Aside from them there're the beautiful Spanish buildings with all their balconies and flowers.
Square after square with their churches and fountains, restaurants with live music and alleyways with cobble road and the clip-clop of the tour carriages, this is what you imagine of the old Spanish cities.



Surrounding the city is a stone wall about 10(?) meters high. You can walk on the wall and look out to sea, which is only about 50m away, or look into the city.

 I arrived in the late afternoon, so my first look of city was it's night side. A bit different the next day I went walking around when it was still light out.
This fat woman was quite an attraction of this plaza. I don't really know if she has any significance.

This city was the absolute hottest place I been in my travels so far. I know I remember Thailand being extremely hot, but this hot was suffocating because the air just didn't move inside the walls and there are so many people and so much humidity.

No comments: